Please refer to the CARES Act tab at the top of the page for more detailed information and links for assistance with the new stimulus package.
Extended Due Date
The 2019 income tax filing and payment deadlines for all taxpayers who file and pay their Federal income taxes on April 15, 2020, are automatically extended until July 15, 2020. This relief applies to all individual returns, trusts, and corporations. This relief is automatic, taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify.
This relief also includes estimated tax payments for tax year 2020 that are due on April 15, 2020 along with IRA contributions for 2019 originally due April 15, 2020.
Penalties and interest will begin to accrue on any remaining unpaid balances as of July 16, 2020. You will automatically avoid interest and penalties on the taxes paid by July 15.
Individual taxpayers who need additional time to file beyond the July 15 deadline can request a filing extension by filing Form 4868 through their tax professional, tax software or using the Free File link on IRS.gov. Businesses who need additional time must file Form 7004.
We want to share information about the steps we are taking to minimize any potential impact as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and maximize our efforts to keep our team and clients safe. This outbreak has all of us focused on the safety and health of our families, friends, and clients. We are closely monitoring the rapidly changing data and facts associated with COVID-19 and the impact it is having both locally and around the world. We want to assure you that we have a Business Continuity Plan in place to minimize any possible disruption to our firm and our ability to be of service to our clients. As such:
- We have made the decision to stop all in office appointments temporarily and, for now, conduct our meetings and reviews with clients via teleconference. This will take effect immediately.
- We have also temporarily suspended all client visits to the office to pick up completed tax returns. We will deliver completed returns to you either via email or regular mail based on your preference. We will also implement follow up procedures to ensure that we address any questions you may have on completed tax returns and review all filing instructions prior to filing.
- Client information received through the mail or dropped off will be boxed and stored for up to 3 days prior to the client information being organized and assigned to a team member.
- Our staff have remote access capability which will assist us in continuing to provide timely and effective service to you in the event of temporary office closure.
- We have implemented various electronic procedures which will allow us to prepare and file your tax returns in accordance with established deadlines.
- We are routinely monitoring information issued by the IRS, Department of the Treasury, and applicable state departments of revenue regarding tax filing deadlines and we will communicate any updates to you in a timely manner.
- We are also monitoring federal and state CDC websites for updated and relevant information that might require additional planning and changes to the delivery of our services.
In hindsight, these will most likely be seen as an overprotective decisions, but we feel the need to do our little part to help contain the spread of this virus.
Thank you for your trust and patience during this challenging time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
We are conveniently located in Waterville, Maine.